Many people don’t get nearly enough vegetables and protein in their diet. Starting the day off with a well-balanced breakfast will help you feel fuller longer and have the energy to get through your morning activities: getting your physical therapy exercises in, getting kids ready for school, staying energized through a busy work day, or for whatever activities you may have planned for the day! I love breakfast burritos because I can put just about anything in them that I have on hand and they always taste amazing! Here is one of my favorite combinations:
Serves 2, but can easily double the ingredients for 4
- 2 Whole white mushrooms
- ½ Tomato
- 1 Tbsp. red onion
- 1 Cup of kale and baby spinach mix
- 2 Slices of turkey bacon
- 2 Tbsp. white cheddar cheese
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Tbsp. milk (I used almond milk)
- 2 Fresh uncooked flour tortillas
- Salt & pepper to taste
Gather & Prep Ingredients
- Preheat oven to 400° F and wash all produce
- Chop 2 mushrooms, ½ tomato, and 1 Tb. red onion and measure out 1 cup of kale & baby spinach mix
- Beat 2 eggs, and 1 Tbsp. milk in small bowl
- Place turkey bacon in oven for 15-20 minutes for desired crispiness (I like mine crispy!)
Cook Onions & Mushrooms
- Heat small pan to medium high with a drizzle of olive oil, then add chopped onion, mushrooms, and a sprinkle of salt & pepper.
- Stir to coat ingredients with the olive oil and then again occasionally for 3-4 mins until golden brown edges and mushrooms shrink to about half the size. Set aside.
Cook Egg Mixture
- Heat medium sized pan to medium-low heat with a drizzle of olive oil layering the entire pan.
- Pour in the egg mixture and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- As eggs begin to cook you will notice them start to thicken, scrape with spatula, folding the eggs gently so that they cook throughout without burning on the bottom.
- Eggs will begin to look almost cooked, but still gooey; now it is time to add the spinach, kale, and another drizzle of olive oil.
- Continue tossing for about 30-60 sec. as eggs finish cooking and greens begin to wilt.
- Add white cheddar cheese and diced tomatoes (the moisture from these will allow the spinach to cook down even more). Continually toss for 1-2 minutes until spinach is soft and wilted and cheese is melted. Set aside.
Chop Bacon & Combine Ingredients
- Turkey bacon should be done by now, remove from oven and chop.
- Combine all cooked ingredients in a small bowl.
- Heat a large pan to medium high. (No oil needed). Make sure pan is thoroughly heated.
- Add one tortilla and wait for tortilla to begin to bubble (30-60 seconds). Flip and repeat. Set aside and repeat for second tortilla.
- Divide ingredients and pour onto the center of the tortilla.
- Tuck corners in and roll up burrito and enjoy!
Download a Printable Copy!
Hungry for More?
Sign up for LIFE+ TODAY to have these practical tips sent straight to your inbox!