I first thought of the toll commuting takes on people’s bodies about a year ago, when I worked as a home health therapist.
I spent most of my day in a car driving from patient to patient. The longer I sat, the more aches and pains I seemed to have. That is when I compounded 4 simple exercises I could do in the car, while at a stop light or even while sitting in traffic. Try these out and see how you feel after that long commute to work.
- This exercise promotes better posture and positions your shoulders in in their happy place.
- All you need to do for this exercise is pinch your shoulder blades together.
- Make sure not to shrug your shoulders as you do this.
- Repeat 15 times.
- The best way to do this exercise is to try to make a double chin while pushing the back of your head into your head rest.
- This exercise helps prevent neck pain and improve posture.
- Repeat 10 times.
- Hold 5 seconds, repeat 5 times.
- This exercise encourages your body to use your core while sitting in order to prevent low back pain.
- Start by making sure you are sitting up straight.
- Then pull in your belly button in while visualizing it touching the back of your seat (like you are at the beach in you bathing suit).
- You want to make sure you breathe while pulling that belly button in. Don’t hold your breath.
- This exercise will wake up your bottom in order to prepare for your long awaited walk into work.
- The easiest way to do this exercise is to sit up straight and squeeze your cheeks together.
- Repeat 15 times.
Incorporating these 4 exercises into your daily commute will make a huge difference in the way you feel before and after work.
You will find yourself becoming more conscious of your posture throughout the day and feel a little less stressed during the commute.
Want more free health tips sent straight to your inbox?
Sign up for Life+!
Click to Save This on Your Health Pinterest Board!
Byanca Madrigal, PT, DPT
Latest posts by Byanca Madrigal, PT, DPT (see all)
- Yummy Low Sodium Eats - May 23, 2017
- How to Get Glowing Skin: Post-Operative Pampering - November 17, 2016
- Get Your Body Moving with Salsa Dance - September 27, 2016
- The Commuter’s Survival Guide: How to Get to Work Pain-Free - June 30, 2016
- Is Your Body Baby Ready? - May 31, 2016