Getting into shape is daunting for many people. Living in a world with restaurants, fast food chains, and bakeries at every corner doesn’t make it easier. Try using these helpful tips to guide you into the right direction!
1. Portion Control
Portion size plays a huge part in weight loss.
- Try cutting down the amount of food you eat. Using a smaller plate is a trick I use to make my portion size look bigger.
- You can still enjoy small indulgences. When you want chocolate, eat 2 pieces, not the whole bar.
2. Eat More Protein and Fiber
Food high in fiber and protein keeps you fuller for longer, so you don’t get the midnight munchies.
- High fiber foods include: Beans, green vegetables, and oatmeal.
- High protein foods include: eggs, almonds and chicken breast.
3. Snack Throughout the Day
When you starve yourself or save up your calories for the last meal, you tend to overeat.
- Munch on healthy snacks like nuts, fruit, and veggies throughout the day to keep your energy level up.
- Carrots and greek yogurt are my go-to snacks when I get hungry.
4. Skip the Gym
A new year’s resolution to go to the gym ends in utter failure for most people. Find a sport or activity you enjoy doing. Whether it be hiking, tennis, dancing, find something you can stick to.
5. Count Your Calories
You may be surprised how much calories you consume in a day! By keeping a food diary of what you eat in a day, you can eliminate unnecessary calories.
6. Slow and Steady Wins the Race
Don’t rush the process. Changing your lifestyle and losing weight requires time and patience. Make the change sustainable. Don’t restrict yourself to only 1000 calories a day and expect to work out everyday! If you fall off the wagon, don’t reach for the donuts!
Chronic diseases such as heart disease and diabetes are one of the leading cause of mortality and morbidity in the United States, and is a result of modifiable behaviors. As promoters of health and wellness, physical therapists play a large role in encouraging people of the importance physical activity and healthy lifestyle changes to prevent such diseases. By incorporating some of these tips into your daily life, you can make healthier choices and live a life full of health and wellness!
Want more free pain-relief & health tips?
Sign up for LIFE+ TODAY to have these practical tips sent straight to your inbox!
If you’re having pain that prevents you from exercising or want to learn more about how physical therapy can help you live pain free, enter your information below for a free assessment with one of our expert physical therapists!